The Bemidji Area and Chippewa National Forest offer abundant outdoor and sporting activities, as well as cultural events and entertainment.
Outdoor and Sporting Activities
Bird Watching: Considered one of the fastest growing pastimes, bird watching brings aviary enthusiasts “flocking” to the Northwoods. Click here for list of birds.
- Chippewa National Forest is home to the largest population of the stately bald eagle, as wells as more than 240 other winged species.
- Pennington Bog Scientific nature area with rare orchids and other plants
- Itasca State Park, the Headwaters of the mighty Mississippi
- Lost Forty – 40 acre stand of virgin pine in the Chippewa National Forest
- Biking – There are over a hundred miles of local biking trails for all levels of bicyclists. Paul Bunyan Trail, Movil Maze, C.V. Hobson Memorial Forest
- Golfing – Blackduck Golf Course, Castle Highlands Golf Club, Greenwood Golf Club, Bemidji Town and County Club, Edge of the Wilderness Golf Club, Sand Trap Golf Course and Long Bow Golf Club
- Fishing: In the land of 10,000 Lakes it’s hard not to find a good fishing hole, but this area is particularly well known. Our Manager, Mike Schwersinske can assist you.
Culture and Entertainment
- Paul Bunyan Playhouse
- Headwaters Science Center
- Concordia Language Villages – world renowned for its 13 different foreign language and cultural immersion programs.
- Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) Camp Museum
- Blackduck Woodcarvers’ Festival
- Blackduck Bluegrass Festival
- Bemidji State University – host of many cultural events
- Bemidji’s Art in the Park
- Dragon Boat Races
- Bemidji Hockey Camp
- Palace Casino